Grover Lincoln of Nauman & Lincoln Mortuary in South San Francisco built Chapel By The Sea in 1956. He operated it until selling it to his employee, Gary Repman in 1969. Gary Repman sold the business MIchael Roos in 1989. Michael Roos made many improvements to the facility and Pacificans have him to thank for the modern amenities, casket showroom, lighting, sound system and beautiful art you find at Chapel By The Sea Funeral Home.
It was during Mr. Roos's leadership that the City of Pacifica's official Veteran's Memorial was built, entirely of donated supplies and funds, in front of the mortuary. A plaque can be found near the base of the flagpole naming the major contributors. In 1999, Mr. Roos's failing health prompted him to sell Chapel By The Sea. He wanted someone who would continue the excellent service he decided Pacifica deserved through both the staff and the facility. Although he had proposals from both a large nearby mortuary and national chains, he decided Pacifica would best be served by an independent, local owner.
The Welch family, fifth generation funeral directors, serving San Franciscans since 1880, were the choice of Michael Roos. Steven Welch, a licensed Funeral Director and Embalmer since 1987 and his sister, Kristen Welch, a licensed Funeral Director are the managers. They have continued to improve Chapel By The Sea by expanding and remodeling the casket and urn display room, introducing a line of minimum-metal content cremation caskets, adding a large view window of the ocean in the main chapel and holding visitations and conducting services in church when the capacity of the main chapel is expected to be exceeded.